Skip to main content

tv   Charlie Rose  PBS  July 19, 2016 12:00pm-1:01pm PDT

12:00 pm
>> welcome to the program. we begin from cleveland, ohio and the republican national convention and first from cincinnati a conversation win hillary clinton the presumptive democratic nominee. >> he has no self-discipline, no self-control, no sense of history no understands of the limits of the kind of power that any president should impose upon himself. he has shown none of that. so i am looking at someone if i were not running against him i would be going everywhere i could go in the country wherever two or >> rose: funding for "charlie rose" has been provided by the following:
12:01 pm
>> and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and information services worldwide. captioning sponsored by rose communications from our studios in new york city, this is charlie rose. >> rose: tonight marks the start of the republican national convention we'll be broadcasting from cleveland during the entire convention. today hillary clinton the presumptive democratic presidential nominee addressed the naacp and talked about the reforming of the system.
12:02 pm
>> this madness has to stop. watching the news from baton rouge yesterday my heart broke. not just for those officers and their grieving families but for all of us. we have difficult, painful, essential work ahead of us to repair the bonds between our police and our communities and between and among each other. we need one another. to do this work we need leaders like the naacp because now have the time for good people to
12:03 pm
agree the senseless killings need to end and speak up loudly and clearly. i know the naacp and some of you individually will do all you can to help our nation heal and start the work together to meet these challenges. we must reform our criminal justice system because everyone is safer when there is respect for the law and when everyone is respected by the law. >> rose: after the speak i sat down with hillary clinton about her campaign and donald trump and the challenges that both face. here's a part of that conversation. 're in cincinnati.h for joining and there's the killing of young black men and the killing of
12:04 pm
police officers who deserve our respect. you talked to the naacp this afternoon about an hour ago and you said to them a number of things. said we've come a long way and we have a long way to go. >> right. >> rose: you said the madness has to stop and we have to look at police forces reforming and trig to do a good job and why do americans need to listen work? will this work? how do we make this work? >> well, charlie, i don't think we have a choice. we're either going to come together and face up to the challenges or we're going to get even further divided, aided and abetted by the voices bias and bigotry in our midst and i'll do everything i can as president to ensure it does work. here's what i ask.
12:05 pm
we do need criminal justice reform. there are some good recommendations out there the president's policing and others and an irony in dallas and dallas was ahead of the curve in trig to reform and they're trig to move towards better training and creating an atmosphere in which police officers are given the respect they have and asked to think hard about biases they make and the training should, i believe, follow national guidelines about the use of force, particularly lethal force. we have to deescalate situations and we have to have respect for
12:06 pm
law enforcement and from law enforcement and we have to make it clear to families i spoke to all over the country and here in cincinnati today who were every time their teenager, young something-twenty-year-old son goes out what's going to happen. and i want white people to think hard about what it would feel like to have the talk where you sit your youngster down and say, you know, you're a good kid but i'm warning you have to do everything out of trouble. >> rose: that's what they call the talk? >> that's the talk. think of what that would mean to white families if that was something you were expected to do. i think we have to show more humility as well recognition and our experiences aren't everyone else's. >> rose: and implicit bias.
12:07 pm
you don't realize you're being a racist. >> i want to put in $1 billion in my first budget to help train -- we have 18,000 police departments. to recognize and deal with this problem of implicit bias. but the rest us in society we need to think about it too. you have a store how many times are you watching young people and playing particular attention to the young african-american. if you're a neighborhood and see kids your alarm doesn't go off when it's young white kids but young black kids and each of us have to start asking ourselves how do we do a better job of seeing, listening, respecting my fellow citizens. >> rose: you said you'll pull out together but donald trump will divide us. >> i said that because i believe that. >> rose: how will he dividend us >> the way he has in the
12:08 pm
campaign. he set americans against one another and the language he has used to scapegoat and demean and denigrate groups of people and go as far as as raising questions of a highly qualified federal born in the united states who's parents were born in mexico. what he has done to make fun of people with disabilities. his treatment as women what's seen as a dog-whistle code how he talks about minorities and how he appeals >> rose: white supremacy? >> well accept theirs support and i was stunned when he was inciting violence at his rallies over the past year. i think it's very clear he has
12:09 pm
staked his political identity and his future as a presidential candidate on dividing us. that is dangerous. >> rose: do you believe he has racism in his own character? >> i can't speak to what's in his heart i can only see what he says and does and the way he talks about other people, the way he treats people is something that i find deeply disturbing. >> rose: but is the way he treats people racist? >> well, i think it's demeaning to a lot of people. i think when you don't denounce a white supremacy group even the ku klux klan supporting you vocally making phone calls for you you and you don't repudiate that it speaks volumes. he was vocal in the birther movement which was a fraud from
12:10 pm
he beginning. he has a lot of experience in fraud so i guess he didn't really mind but he did it in a way that raised not only unfair, untrue questions and innuendos about the president but played in to the base of a group of political americans. >> rose: he says the answer is law and order. >> well, i think what he means by that is not what i mean by it. i support law. i support civil order. i support security in ways that are consistent with human dignity and respect, constitution and the laws of our country and i see no contradiction between supporting the police and working for police reform. standing up for those officers who put their lives on the line like we've just seen in dallas and baton rouge and getting more
12:11 pm
to get people to recognize the fears african-american young people face every day. so i want law and a want order and i want to marry it with respect and listening to each other. i think what you hear from donald trump is very uninformed, very much in response to the political currents that he is playing in and i worry about that. >> rose: meaning he doesn't mean it for believe it but saying it for political advantage? >> two things. i don't know what he believes or doesn't believe. i never saw this side of him. i never spent time with him. i've never seen this emerge as part of this experience as a reality tv star where you can saying anything and insult
12:12 pm
people and say you're fired. i think he's someone who stood for a law that would have legitimized blatant discrimination and when he was congress he tried to defund planned parenthood. he has a record of divisiveness. >> rose: he's the most extreme nominee on social issues in a century. >> he didn't believe in evolution and since he doesn't believe in climate change
12:13 pm
perhaps there's a meeting of no minds there but it's distressing to see two people vying to be our president and vice president with the views and the records that they both bring to this campaign. >> rose: are you really worried about donald trump? do you think donald trump is dangerous? do you believe donald trump is not fit to be president? do you believe donald trump has in this campaign shown -- how would you characterize it? >> i think he has shown he is dangerous. >> rose: in what way? >> in several ways. i'll give you a few of the many examples he has provided for us when someone says in the most off-hand way he doesn't care if countries get nuclear weapons
12:14 pm
including saudi arabia -- >> rose: japan. >> let's focus on saudi arabia. we have done everything we can democratic and republican administrations going back decades to try and prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons. that was what was behind the iran agreements i began efforts on when i was secretary of states. those weapons recreated which are the most dangerous world it's an indifference to the power that he is seeking. and i saw today where the man who wrote "the art of the deal" said in a long article that he thinks donald trump being near the nuclear code would pose a danger to
12:15 pm
civilization. >> rose: and you agree? >> i do agree and i don't say it lightly or with satisfaction. he has shown no self-discipline, no self-control, no self-of history, no understanding of the limits of the kind of power that any president hould impose upon himself. he has shown none of that and so i am looking at someone if i were not running against him i would be going everywhere i could in the country speaking to wherever two or more gathered to make the point. when i gave my first speech base ond what he had said in san diego i had followed it of course but even i was surprised when we began pulling together all the information. let's return to torture and you know what i will order the american military to commit war crimes. let's pull out of nato.
12:16 pm
we don't need them. this kind of talk, where people say well he can't mean it maybe if he had said it six months ago and listened to people who know more than he knows maybe so but what he laid out is the most dangerous reckless approach to being president i think we've ever seen and i say -- >> rose: the most dangerous man ever to run for the president of the united states. >> i say that and i've been privileged to know democrats and republicans. i was in opposition with a number of the stands the republican presidents took but i never doubted they had a sense of history. they had a sense of their place in understand. they understood the enormity of the responsibility they sought and assumed. i don't see any evidence that
12:17 pm
man feels that way. >> rose: why is the most recent poll within two or three terms. a man you just described in harsh terms within the margin of error in being even with you? >> the campaign is close and their convention is this week and our convention is next week and then we're in the intense months leading up to the election. >> rose: first debate and second debate. i have always planned for a close election. when i first started i did not know who my opponent would being but i built an organization to be able to withstand whatever the challenges are but here's what's really happening, i believe. there is a lot of fear in our country. there is economic insecurity. people are concerned about their
12:18 pm
future, their children's future. they believe the economy is not producing the kinds of opportunities to be in and stay in -- there is legitimate fear there. there is also given what's happening in the killings and the assassinations of the police there's anxiety of fear as well and overseas we look at nice. we look at istanbul. we remember paris. we know there is a lot of terrible things that are happening that we have to get our arms reason so people are worried and when americans are worried they're looking for answers. he's providing simplistic easy answer. let's make america great again which means basically we'll go back to the way it was and you out there, whoever you are you'll have a better shot.
12:19 pm
it is an unfair view of history. >> rose: are you speaking as a nominee of your party being nominated in philadelphia speaking to the ears and concerns in a way that there is an alternative they can clearly gotten than donald trump's, right? so more people who turned out to vote heard what i had to say about what i would do to get the economy producing more good jobs and raising incomes. that's the defining economics in place to produce real results not just demagoguic rhetoric and i have to communicate that as clearly as possible. it's a challenging. >> you haven't done that so far
12:20 pm
for whatever reasons? >> i'm suggesting if you look at who is running for president luke at the coalition that voted for my husband. the coalition that voted for barack obama. it represents the changing of america. what i view as the changing of america. i had a broad diverse coalition. i want to build on it. >> rose: those who argue the people supporting trump there's a fear of the change taking place. >> here's one of the great
12:21 pm
disservices trump is providing. it's a small vision of the american dream. the american dream is so big and boy, some people are now in it weren't there 50, 60 years ago and we cant go back. we have to turn the fear into resolve that says technology, globalization, they have exacted a big price. now we can sit around and be sorry and mad about it or say there's a lot of we can do about it and where you see people planning for the future, getting the kind of skills and training they need for the jobs that are available you see rising expectations. i saw it as i was campaigning. >> >> rose: and declining fears. >> but i recognize and places that will not vote for me, coal
12:22 pm
country in west virginia because i wanted the people there particularly the laid off coal mine er families to know this, they may not support me but i will support them. i'll come back as president. we'll do everything we can to provide more opportunities than what they have now. >> you need a vice presidential running mate. >> do you want the job? i'm here to see if you want to be vetted. >> rose: that's what i feared being vetted. you have met with them in the last week or so. >> i've met with a bunch of folks. >> rose: how close are you to a choice? >> i have the blessing of having some excellent choices.
12:23 pm
here's my criterion. would this person be a good president. i'm afflicted with the responsibility gene. i've seen it and for me there's nothing more important than my rock solid conviction that the person i choose can get up one day and be president of the united states >> rose: so someone like walter mondale, al gore, joe biden? >> excellent choices. >> rose: everyone has some potential. caine, you met with him in virginia? he says he's too boring? >> and i love that about him. he's never lost an election. he was a world-class mayor, governor and senator and one of the most highly respected senators i know.
12:24 pm
>> rose: the governor of colorado? >> first class. >> rose: have they been vetted? >> i have a great and high regard for these two people. >> rose: if none of these people are on the list you'll certainly tell me. elizabeth warren? >> amazing. what she's done in a relatively few year to but the agenda of inequality front and center is what we all should be grateful for and raising the hard issues we have to address. >> rose: so you're comfortable with her. you campaigned with her. she may be a risk-joy? >> i'm not categorizing any of these folks. you're naming people i have a high reward for. >> rose: that you allegedly, vetted. >> well, yes, vetted. >> rose: you vetted them and an admiral. >> i knew him when he was at commander at nato and worked
12:25 pm
with him there and i think he's exceptional and how he has transitioned from the military into diplomacy running the fletcher school at tuft's. >> rose: so he's on the list as well? >> he's a very impressive man. >> rose: someone said to me knows you well she's looking for someone she is a projection of here and a bit like she is. >> no, i do have a fondness for wonk. i will admit to that but i'm looking for someone who can be a world-class president of the united states and help he govern because i think they go hand in hand. you can get the feel for the job and others you haven'ted haven't mentioned. >> rose: who haven't i mentioned? >> well, i won't tell you but i'm blessed with a broad group of people to choose from.
12:26 pm
>> rose: your convention starts a week from today. >> it does, that's true. >> rose: so when will you nominate this person? >> you'll be among the first to know. >> rose: the assumption is this friday of this week. >> you'll be among the first to know. >> rose: i'd like to be the first. >> well, i do have your address. >> rose: help us understand the mind of the nominee. >> i will talk that because there's fear and anger in our country about our future and too many americans feel like the economy has failed them and forget about politics. if we don't change we'll see
12:27 pm
more of the demagoguery and fear mongering and there's terrible examples in history of where that leads. if we don't get the government to get off its back and start functioning and get over the ideology and produce results the same path could possibly be waiting for us. >> rose: that's exactly what barack obama in 2008. his goal he said was to create bipartisanship. >> well, you didn't hear me say bipartisanship, i said results and here's the difference. i believe you run on an agenda which i've been running on and taken some good-humored hits about because i do lay out the plans that i think will create the jobs and opportunities. you run on this and i believe we can have a democratic senate again where my friend and
12:28 pm
colleague chuck schumer will be the leader and have not just substancive leverage and i believe we'll take gains. >> rose: and paul ryan -- >> i think -- >> rose: you also said you're willing to smooth. >> you know that. we'll smooth together. >> rose: you have suggested you're prepared. >> yes, i absolutely am. >> rose: that has been missing? >> everybody brings different strengths. if you look at president obama's first two years it was jam-packed with positive results and by the way, he saved our economy from a great depression. i give him high marks. >> rose: you think that's his most important achievement.
12:29 pm
>> if you just look at democrat policy and saving our economy and getting us on the path to universal health care and get dodd-frank to rein in the fraud in the financial markets pretty good day's work and a lot of repairing the relationships we inherited. so i give him high marks. i think history will give him high marks but it's very clear that where we are right now means you have to get into the nitty-gritty not just stand and hope others will do it and that's what i've done. >> rose: you're damning him with praise. >> no, everybody has strengths and the way he was elected and what he pursued in his first two years i'd be proud to have that as well. here's the problem. the problem is up until now i don't think the country was
12:30 pm
ready for the kind of deal making and hard bargaining -- >> rose: it takes two. >> it's not just two. there's 535. when ways first lady i round up 13 republicans votes to have a . i know what it takes. it's not easy and the time now requires that more than ever. >> rose: and they also say this election will be a referendum on change. >> every election is about change. you can't have an election not about the future.
12:31 pm
>> rose: how do you become a change representative. you have a deep political history. you've been part of the establishment since you were first lady of arkansas. >> that's why i'm so ready to get things down. >> an >> rose: an agent of change? >> and getting 8 million kids health care, getting the national guard health care. helping to rebuild new york. getting health care for our first-responders. the work as secretary of state. i know how to get change. i'm not talking off the top of my head. i know what it will take. have i been around a while, yes i have and it's like choosing a surgeon i don't want the guy just out of medical school. i know how to get things done
12:32 pm
and i'm prepared to roll up my sleeves and i know the wrap. you've been around since the beginning of time. you know, having a woman be nominated for the first time by a major political party, oh, my gosh, that's revolutionary and that's something i'm very conscious of and i intent to fight for every single vet that i can possibly get in this general election. >> rose: how important do you believe it is to have a woman elected. we now have a prime minister in great britain. we have a chancellor in germany. we have perhaps a new secretary general of the united nations. the newspaper in germany said there's a new world order led by women. how important in the united states is a woman? >> well, i think it's important. i think it's important for a couple reasons. this is part of what makes us great. we keep knocking down barriers. we keep forging ahead into a
12:33 pm
future that we are helping to make so that any parent can look at that little girl like they now can look at the little boy and say in america you work hard, you do your part, you can be anything you want including president of the united states. it is the fulfillment of the ongoing effort to define and realize the american dream. look, i'm not asking people to vote for me because i'm a woman. i'm asking them to vote for me because i think i'm the best ready the, best prepared to do what needs to be done and they can count on me like the people i represented in new york and ing a woman is an asset and i believe there is going to be an opportunity to opportunity demonstrate that when i'm president. >> rose: do you believe because your a woman is part of the reason you have this trust problem? >> i don't know.
12:34 pm
>> rose: have you thought about it? >> there's reams and reams of article and academic studies and there's all kinds of crosscurrents and issues at work. here's how i feel, every job i've had literally from a child to secretary of state people have been able to count on me. they've been able to trust me. they know that i'm going to work my heart out for them. when i hold a job, charlie, i'm really popular. when i was senator in new york i ran for re-election i was re-elected with 67% of the vote when i ran for secretary of state not seeking the job but doing the job -- i had a 66% approval rating but i know i have to work hard to make sure -- >> rose: it's an issue. it's more than you just have to work hard it's more than how
12:35 pm
some people in significant polls feel they say about you and your opponent as well and say you don't trust you and you started to speak about this. >> yes, i have. >> rose: tell them. >> it's something i clearly don't like to hear. nobody would and at such variance with the way i am perceived when i do a job. >> rose: and they say that. >> and at the time of fear, anxiety, discouragement and it's part of our political environment right now. i understand people who are asking the questions. i hope to be answer the questions. >> rose: how will you answer and change? >> the same was true in the primary. there was a lot of talk even back in the primary. i just got up every day. i worked as hard as i could. i made the case as best as i
12:36 pm
could. i demonstrated through both what i said and what i did and importantly what i had done that i would produce results. that i would be somebody that would stand and fight for you and your family. and many many millions of people believe that. i will take that base that i built during the primary and we will add to it and i hope by the time we have this election it will be clare to voters who a small business man and a have met these small business men and read their stories. they do the work and they're so proud to do the work and then trump says, forget it, i'm not paying you. it's beyond shocking and maybe
12:37 pm
he offers 50 cents, 30 cents on the dollar. i can't even imagine, treated like that. that's who this man is and let's not have illusions about that. >> rose: do you think the e-mail crisis contributed to the question of trust? >> well, i have said i am very sorry about it. i made a mistake. it was certainly not a choice i would do again -- >> rose: but i want to hear you out on this. said i'm sorry. it was a mistake. it was the wrong thing to do. >> yes. i said that, yes. >> rose: some said what were you thinking about the national security risk when you made the decision? it hasn't been determined there was no acting -- >> well, there's no evidence -- >> rose: some suggests that's the reason they were good at it because there's no evidence of it and you exposed -- >> charlie, there is no evidence of that. i take classification very
12:38 pm
seriously -- >> rose: but that's not the question. the question is did you put stuff -- >> no, there's a been so much talk and understandable confusion about all this. let me repeat what has been found. there is no evidence i was breached or hacked and this with us looked at. >> you said with you were aware and decide you were not putting anything at risk. >> and there's no evidence there was. >> >> rose: but the fbi director said we don't know. we can't rule it out he said. >> but you can't rule it in either and there is no evidence. we can go back and forth -- >> rose: he said careless. >> well, i would hope that you,
12:39 pm
like many others, would also look at what he said when he testified before congress because when he did he clarified much of what he said in his press conference and an appreciated that. >> rose: but he said it was sloppy. real sloppiness. correct me if i'm wrong and i'm sure you know better than i do because of the interest you had in it he said what is the definition of careless and he said real sloppiness. >> let me say this, there were three, probably at least 300 people on those e-mails. the vast majority of whom are experienced professionals in handling sensitive material. they did not believe anything they were communicating was classified. it's been clarified there were no markings of classified material.
12:40 pm
there was a flurry of documents with a little "c" and you have 300 professionals. i'm in the communicating with myself. you have 300 professionals accustomed to dealing with this information. i trusted them and i have no reason to have second guessed their decision to send or forward me information. so i think at the end of the day do i wish i hadn't done it? of course. was it a mistake? yes. >> rose: was it wrong? >> it was wrong because look at what it has generated. >> rose: was it careless? >> i think you have to say 300 people that communicated with me in e-mail are the most careful people i've ever had the privilege of working with. >> rose: then why did he use the word "careless."
12:41 pm
>> two days later in his testimony he clarified a lot of what he said then. >> rose: you wouldn't have done it again. do you think it contributed and became a controversy because it fed the trust issues? well, i'm sure it didn't help but i'll tell you this, i'm the last person you'll ever have to worry about ever. i'm 100% as precise as i can be so nobody ever raises questions like that ever again. >> because you've gone through this. >> yes, i have. should you have known better? >> all i can tell you is other secretaries of states. >> the rules are now clearer and now that they've been clarified
12:42 pm
we'll all be able to understand them better. >> rose: when the former president came home and said guess who i talked to today, loretta lynch what did you say to him? >> he didn't say that i just read it in the paper and it was a totally innocent conversation. >> rose: what were you thinking? >> i don't think either he or she -- >> rose: from optics. >> that's all it was. there was nothing else other than an exchange of pleasantries. >> rose: but she said it hurt her what came after that was painful for her. >> i regret that. if you see someone you haven't seen for year turn around and walk away because in this world you have no margin for any understanding that hey, you can talk to somebody you've known a long time about your grandchildren and that's what happened. hey, we don't want to raise those questions. >> rose: but the circumstances of whatever you're talking
12:43 pm
about -- >> they didn't think about it because that was being handled and it was being handled and thankfully resolved. >> rose: and just once on this point david brook wrote i understand why donald trump is unpopular he earned it by being offensive and obnoxious but why is hillary clinton so unpopular? >> i think i'm popular and going to get more popular. i'm about to become the presidential democrat nominee and i'm about to take on a man who poses a clear and present danger against to the country i love and i believe the vast majority of americans will follow this election and decide they are going to support the person that they think can actually do the job and produce positive change and results for them. >> rose: the president of the
12:44 pm
united states has said there's never been a man or woman more qualified for this office. what's the connection? what's the relationship with the president? he's campaigned for you. he's done a lot because he wants to get in the fray. >> we went from colleagues in the senate to opponent s in the 2008 election to partners and then real friends. i consider the president a true friend. i am so privileged to have worked with him, to have seen him in action. i think we were really good together and faced some tough calls like the bin laden raid together. i'm in his corner and proud to have him in mine. is it at all difficult us know some people diseffected from
12:45 pm
government as you run on the campaign his popularity's rising and on the other hand you have to point out the differences and you have on trade, on certain foreign policy issues having to do with syria. >> just because we're friends doesn't mean year clones. >> rose: >> we have strong opinions. >> rose: what is the difference between the two of you beyond trade and beyond actions taken or not taken in syria? i'll leave that to historians and analysts and i think it goes further because we're at a time when we must go further. so i'm going to make sure we get to quality affordable health care for everybody and that's going to mean we have to make sure the affordable care act
12:46 pm
works. i'm glad it's there and got it done but now we have to make it work for everybody. i'm going to try to make college affordable. >> rose: you say that and they say, i'm sure she believes that but that's one more example of the impact of bernie sanders and the republican party has moved to the right with donald trump and there is no center and it was the center that got bill clinton elected. >> first of all that's just a wild reading of what happened in the primary. i started off talking about getting to universal health care coverage. i started off talking about making college affordable. i'm proud of the campaign senator sanders and i ran against each other because it was based on issues. >> rose: did it move you to the left? >> no. >> rose: did it move the democrat party to the left? >> i think it moved people to the left and we're the center left party.
12:47 pm
i'm proud much that but it's center, left. part of what we have to do is prof that government can work. not just hope for it and talk about it but actually get it to work. that's where my experience really comes to the forefront. >> bernie sanders didn't get everything he wanted at your convention. he wanted to do more on tpp the trade deal. you and your allies were not prepared to make that concession. >> we had some excellent debates and then people voted and sometimes -- >> rose: you know who runs the convention? the person who runs the convention is the presumptive nominee. in this case she makes the rules. it's what clinton wanted it to be. >> we were very open to a full
12:48 pm
and vigorous debate and we had that and came out the most progressive platform the democratic party has ever had. >> the most progressive platform? >> rose: than george mcgovernor franklin roosevelt? >> well, i don't know if they had platforms back then but a road map of where we should be going to the future to make sure we bring out or arms and bring every american with us. >> rose: you said the key issue for america other than in foreign policy is income and security. this fate of the middle class in new york. it is said bernie sanders would like to redistribute income. trump would like to fix it with
12:49 pm
protectionism. how do you want to fix the decline of the middle class? >> it is the centerpiece of our economic agenda and it must be. i want to grow the economy but i want to do it in a way that creates a greater opportunity for more people to prosper. i want inclusive prosperity. we had it in the 1990s where incomes went up for everybody. a median family income went up 17% and median african-american family went up 20% and it went back to trickle economics which has not worked and will not work and what donald trump and pence and the others are promising. i want to do more and expand the
12:50 pm
income tax credit and raise the minimum wage. do more to help small businesses which are such an engine of economic growth and potential. >> rose: and bernie sanders want to raise the tax levels too, do you? >> i do on the wealthy but not the middle class. most the wealth we have created in the last 15 year has gone to the very highest percentage of income earners. >> rose: so the 1% have gotten richer and richer. >> it is something that is a fact. it's not just a talking point and we have to do more to get the tax system in line with where the money is. >> what would do you? >> fight to implement the buffet rule. everybody making $1 million should pay a 30% income tax rate and a surcharge a
12:51 pm
$5 million and close loopholes -- >> rose: for private equity. >> absolutely for private equity and get together on figuring out what we'll do about corporate tax rates and repatriating money overseas. what's the deal we can reach there. how can we put it to work. what will make us richer, safer and stronger. charlie it starts with giving little kids a better chance than they've got right now. that's something when i talk about it say i know she likes little kids the nobel prize-winning economist did a research survey what are the investments a country can make to make us richer. he looked at everything, tax breaks and subsidies. he came to maybe to his prize
12:52 pm
early childhood education is the single best investment so we're leaving kids behind. 51% of the children in the public schools of america live below the poverty line. >> rose: 51%. >> first time in our history we've had more than 50%. how are we going to grow the economy which is my objective, how are we going to provide more economic opportunity and be creative in how we do it so that technology's not going to stop. we're going to keep losing jobs to technology. how are we going to get ahead of that trend. >> here's an interesting thing. we talked about an election not yet happened in terms of one to one going at each other, his convention's this week and yours is next then you'll go at it and have a debate. people are worried with the tone of the debate. you said in springfield you take some responsibility for that. you take responsibility for your part of that and you can do better. >> and i'm going to do better.
12:53 pm
>> rose: do you refuse to engage with donald trump? >> no, but i refuse to respond to his personal insults and drop to the level he is driving our politics. he'll be insulting me and my husband, who knows, my grand daughter. i am not responding on that level. i am going to point out that based on what he said and based on his behavior as a businessman and the plans set out there he would set back america's economy and put our democracy in danger. hole to are salient points. >> rose: talk about your husband's private life. not his public life. >> they can talk about whatever they want to talk about but we're not responding.
12:54 pm
republicans have tried this for a very long time. i'm happy to have then keep trying it and it hasn't worked out because americans will ask what have you done for me and do for me and i'm proud to be talking about and advocating for the kind of economic policies that my husband stood for because it helped many many millions of americans. >> rose: can it be a referendum on donald trump or a referendum on hillary clinton? >> i think it's going to be a referendum on donald trump. >> rose: he says it's going to be a referendum on you? >> i don't think he's right but we'll find out won't we? >> rose: you have to take note of the fact that people also note that this is two of the most unpopular people being the nominee of their parties. >> i think it's the times we're living in. i think he's earned that but i will say that with respect to my
12:55 pm
candidacy -- >> rose: you have to live with it. >> and the proof is in the political pudding so to speak. i have to work hard to explain what i will do as president. and i can link that to ideas i've been in favor of for a long time and to other presidents, barack obama and bill clinton and others who produced positive results. i have a big story to tell that i am part of but i am i think in the current of history as to why we need a president to continue the progress that barack obama has made. >> rose: for more about the program and early episodes visit us online at and charlie captioning sponsored by rose communications
12:56 pm
captioned by media access group at wgbh >> rose: funding for "charlie rose" has been provided by: >> and by bloomberg, a provider of multimedia news and of multimedia news and information services worldwide.
12:57 pm
12:58 pm
12:59 pm
1:00 pm
man: it's like holy mother of comfort food.ion. woman: throw it down. it's noodle crack. patel: you have to be ready for the heart attack on a platter. crowell: okay, i'm the bacon guy. man: oh, i just did a jig every time i dipped into it. man #2: it just completely blew my mind. woman: it felt like i had a mouthful of raw vegetables and dry dough. sbrocco: oh, please. i want the dessert first! [ laughs ] i told him he had to wait.


info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on